Retrofit – Solihull Community Housing
Beattie Passive has delivered an innovative project for Solihull Community Housing in the Midlands using its patented Retrofit solution TCosy™ which provides a fast, low cost and highly replicable solution for a wide range of buildings. The TCosy™ dramatically reduces energy requirements, creates a healthier living environment and can be delivered whilst residents remain in their home.
The project partners are:
- Beattie Passive – inventors of the patented TCosy™ Retrofit build system. Designed, manufactured and delivered the retrofit.
- Encraft – energy consultants and Passivhaus designers, who were the innovative lead partner.
- Coventry University – for tenant involvement and assessment
- Solihull Community Housing – a subsidiary of Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, who own the block of 6 flats to be retrofitted.
“We’ve enjoyed working with Beattie Passive and seen with great interest the impressive transformation of these six flats. We are looking forward to the feedback from our tenants and seeing the impact of their new super insulated homes”
Mark Pinnell, Head of Asset Management, Solihull Community Housing
The project had a three stage approach:
- Analysis of tenant energy usage pre-retrofit
- Retrofit of apartments block containing 6 flats
- Analysis of tenant energy usage post-retrofit
Wall U value: 0.099 W/m2k
Roof U value: 0.1 W/m2k
Perimeter Floor U value: 0.43 W/m2k
Air Tightness: 0.93 3/hm2@50pa
Retrofit stages using a TCosyTM
- Contractor completes Retrofit: Beattie Passive certified contractors manufacture and erect the TCosy™ system, fit passive standard windows and doors, install MVHR and fit external finish
- On-site compliance checks: Every Retrofit is tested at structural completion including structural compliance, thermal continuity testing and air testing
- Beattie Passive Certification: Beattie Passive undertake detailed checks to ensure the retrofit is delivered as designed
- Completed Retrofit: Delivering a new energy efficient, healthier, more comfortable home.
- There was minimal disruption to residents as they remained in their homes for the duration of the retrofit process.
- Energy bills will be dramatically reduced (anticipated 84% reduction from £1,064 per flat to £166 per year) and residents will also benefit from an enhanced and healthier living environment.
- The project is estimated to deliver CO2 savings, typically in the range 2-4t CO2 per year per dwelling. On realistic assumptions of rapid scale up to 1000-5000 properties a year, will contribute up to 20,000t CO2 savings a year to the national effort to reduce CO2 emissions.
- The approach provided training and labour opportunities which is hoped to have a positive impact on social inclusion and long-term economic benefits for local communities. The Jericho Foundation manufactured the TCosyTM structure, developing the skill and experience of the trainees.
- The project developed models for best practice in tenant and community engagement, ongoing liaison and feedback loops which ensure energy use is optimised but also ensures tenants and communities are happy with the outcomes of the project.
“What every retrofit project needs is a low risk, whole building approach, capable of delivering superior thermal protection and air tightness, as well as fit for purpose heat recovery ventilation. Beattie Passive’s TCosyTMdoes all of this and more.”
Helen Brown, Head of Building Physics, Encraft
Winter Comfort Levels Pre and Post Retrofit
These graphs demonstrate the considerable improvement in the indoor comfort levels for residents following the retrofit.
Comfort Level Pre-Retrofit:
Prior to the retrofit the graph shows that the majority of the minimum and maximum winter temperatures were below the comfort zone.
Comfort Level Post-Retrofit:
After the retrofit the graph shows that all of the minimum and maximum winter temperatures were within the comfort zone.
Feedback from the residents
“We are very pleased with the work that has been done. We have noticed that there are no draughts around the windows anymore and our whole flat feels much warmer. We certainly don’t put our heating on as often as we did before the work was done. The MVHR system has made a real difference to the quality of the air, especially the boost button which gets rid of stale air ever so quickly, especially after smoking.”
Mr and Mrs Dooley
“It has made an incredible difference. I have only had to switch my heating on twice so far since the work was completed a few months ago. Even today (29/11/16) which is really cold (less than 5°C) I haven’t had to put the heating on. I budget for my energy costs and usually put £10 credit on each time. This is now lasting a lot longer than it was before we had the work done and I am even building up credit on my account.”
For more information on TCosyTM for the Retrofit market, call us on 08456 449003 or visit www.beattiepassiveretrofit.com